Built in 1926 by Martin Luther Hampton.
The hotel represents an irreplaceable structure which reflects the extensive social and cultural history of the town. A main street landmark for over 86 years it is the last remaining original hotel of eight in Delray. Many original 1926 features are intact and enjoyed by the public in the large lobby floor: manually operated elevator, lobby chandeliers, skylights, fireplace mantle with carved galleon, terrazzo floor and oak floors. Guest room features include Dade County Pine floors, original headboards, night tables, bureaus, desks and desk chairs. All architectural additions are inspired by original features eg. lobby bar.
Distinctive Spanish Colonial Mission Revival south facade with twin towers, U shaped three story structure, street level triple arched entrance onto loggia with cracked Cuban tile floor, decorative shields and galleons (Mizner Industries), barrel tile roof, domed matching towers with spiral columns and double arched apertures with railing, double inner terrace flanked by pyramidal barrel tile roof towers. East facade original open formal entrance loggia enclosed due to road widening, decorative inlaid cast concrete entrance heraldic cartouche braced by engaged pilasters, monogram "HA" (hotel Alterep) element extends beyond roof line, cypress carved window surrounds, galleon decorations, elaborate cast concrete window surround. Ground floor arched windows, original lobby skylights, original oak and terrazzo floors, original fireplace mantle with carved galleon to match exterior. Interiors of original manually operated elevator, 1925 wrought iron chandeliers, Dade County pine floors throughout guest room floors, 1926 furnishings from John Wanamaker in guest rooms along with modern enhancements, in use and added to with some new.
Return to: Florida Top 100 Building Survey